IBNS Code of Ethics
Membership in the IBNS is a privilege extended to those persons deemed worthy thereof and is not a matter of right. Such membership can be maintained only until the Executive Board determines that the conduct of a member has been such that, in the best interests of the Society, his membership should be terminated.
For the guidance of its members, this CODE OF ETHICS bas been duly adopted by the Executive Board (under the authority vested in it by the Bylaws of the Society). A breach thereof by any member reflects, directly or indirectly, upon all other members. Such a breach shall be considered conduct prejudicial to the interest of the Society and cause for action by the Executive Board.
As a member of the IBNS:
- I agree to support, and be governed, subject to, and bound by the Bylaws of the Society, and by such rules, policies and regulations as may be in force from time to time.
- I agree to neither slander nor libel the character of another member, and, in my relationships with other IBNS members and with the public at large, always to conduct myself in a fair and ethical manner becoming to the good name, reputation and prestige of the Society.
- I agree to fulfill all contracts and agreements, explicit or implied, made by me, either verbally or written. I agree to take immediate steps to correct any error which I make in any transaction.
- I agree to neither buy, sell, trade or exchange numismatic items of which the ownership is questionable.
- I agree neither to intentionally misrepresent condition or rarity when, selling, trading or exchanging numismatic items, nor clean, wash, press or process, chemically or otherwise, paper money or numismatic items for any purpose other than conserving or protecting a damaged item or one that has already been poorly repaired. I understand that performing such action to improve a numismatic item’s apparent condition to deceive others is unacceptable. I agree not to withhold information about the history of any alterations or repairs made to a numismatic item, and shall always fully disclose all such details.
- I agree not to represent as genuine any counterfeits, copies or reproductions when selling, trading, exchanging, advertising or exhibiting numismatic items.
- I agree not to use, or to permit another person to use, for commercial, personal or private gain: my position in the IBNS; any information, not otherwise available to the general membership, which I may obtain by virtue of my position in IBNS; or the facilities, communications, procedures or property of IBNS.
- I agree to respond to official IBNS correspondence as promptly as possible and, unless prevented from doing so by reasons clearly beyond my control, always within the time frames established therein.
IBNS Code of Ethics as revised 6 April 2013, Valkenburg