Banknote of the Year Terms And Conditions
Nominations for Banknote of the Year
- Any IBNS member in good standing can make a nomination for the Banknote of the Year. Each member can make only one nomination in a year.
- Nominations, including reasons for the nomination, must be sent to the the Banknote of the Year Co-ordinator.
If possible, scanned images of the front and back of the notes should be forwarded with the nomination.
- Nominations for Banknote of the Year award will be accepted up to the end of January of the year of the award.
i.e. Nominations for the Banknote of 2015 (for banknotes issued in 2015) will close on the 31 January 2016
- Nominations received during the year will be listed in the IBNS Journal and displayed on the IBNS website, reasons for the nomination may also be displayed.
Note: A nomination may be received in time to be considered for the award, but not in time to be illustrated in the last Journal for the year of nomination.
Core Criteria of the Award
The criteria for the award are:
- The banknote must have been issued to the public for the first time in the year of nomination.
- The banknote must be submitted to the IBNS Journal for publication in 'New Notes'.
- The banknote must be circulating currency (i.e. no specimens or non-circulating currencies are eligible).
- The banknote must be in general circulation
- The banknote must have artistic merit.
- Imaginative designs will be well considered.
- Good use of colour, contrast and general balance will be well considered.
- Design features that take advantage of modern security features will be well considered, taking into account the issuing authority and the value of the note.
Note: If more than one banknote from a series with common design features are nominated, only one of the notes will be eligible for nomination. The Awards Committee will make the selection as to which note will be nominated.
Selection of the Banknote of the Year
- During February of the year of the award, member of the IBNS will evaluate each nomination against the core criteria of the Banknote of the Year award, and select their preference for Banknote of the Year.
- Each member of the IBNS will have a single vote towards the Banknote of the Year award.
- In the event of a tie the IBNS President will have the casting vote
Announcement of the Banknote of the Year
- The winner of the Banknote of the Year award will be announced at the first Board meeting of the year of the award.
- The winning entry will appear on the IBNS website and in the IBNS Journal.
- Details of the winner will also be announced in a press release to the numismatic press.
The Awards Committee
The Awards Committee for the Banknote of the Year consists of
- the First Vice President
- the Journal Editor
- the Banknote of the Year Co-ordinator
Details of the Banknote of 2015 Award
- Nominations Close: 31st January 2016
- Announcement: April 2016 after the IBNS Board meeting
- Banknote must have been first appeared in circulation by 31st December 2015
View Nominations for Banknote of 2015